Friday, June 19, 2015

RM-1 Startuje. (Polish space science book) (1959)




This is a book that I do not know very much about so I would appreciate corrections/translation by any readers.

It seems to cover general science topics, including spaceflight. It was sent to me by a reader who was part of disposing of a huge collection  of books. When he say this he thought I needed it for my collection He said, "I cannot read or speak Polish, so I have no idea what the title means. Perhaps you can decode it with your knowledge of space exploration."

RM-1 Startuje. Zygmunt Dabrowski and Witold Kozak. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Harcerskie, 1959. 125 p. Softcover.








"Wyspa Ciolkowskiego" translates as "Tsiolkovsky Island" which is a perfect name for a space station!



This illustration suggests it may have been intended for use in a school setting.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know any Polish but "Wyspa Ciolkowskiego" immediately jumped out as looking oddly familiar: it turns out to translate as "Tsiolkovsky Island" which is a perfect name for a space station!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you didn't know Wydawnictwo Harcerskie was the publishers of the ZHP, the Polish Scouting and Guide organisation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm polish ;] I'll translate scans showed above. I'm quite busy now, so you have to wait several days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tittle: "RM-1 is starting"
    Diag 1: "First part of the party takes place with curtain closed. While showing slides there a screen hangs on it" On the diag: "Flights schedule"
    Diag 4: "Start field is surrounded by huge wall"
    Diag 5: "An astronaut outside of the rocket must be leashed. There is no resistance either gravity in the space desert. He moves using jet gun"
    Diag 6 : "Space tanks are catched by rocket crew an used to supply the rocket in fuel"
    Diag 7:"Draft of designed by soviet scientists satellite-base, called "Tsiolkovsky Island". Detailed description of this project can be found in the book "From artificial satellite to space base""
    Diag 36 "Time machine"

    ReplyDelete